The foundation of the monastery is traditionally related to King Dragutin, who gave it to the monastery of Rača as a gift, and the first reliable data about the monastery originate from the Turkish sources of the mid-16th century. Around the end of the 17th century, the monastery was renewed by the refugee monks from the Monastery of Rača. The appearance of the church in which place today’s church was erected in 1739, thanks to the ktetorship of Stanko Milinković from the village of Šumlje, is unknown to us. The throne icons on the iconostasis were painted by Janko Halkozović in 1759, whereas the authorship of the icons in the upper zones has not been determined. The wall paintings of 1910 were painted by Kosta Vandjelović.