The former names of the monastery were Remetica (Remetsko) and Remetsko Monastery, and in the Turkish censuses, it was also referred to as the Monastery of St. Stefan Štiljanović. Its foundation is related to the monk refugees from the Monastery of Žiča, who pulled down the then Church of St. Nicholas, as known as Remetsko, (1520), in whose place they erected a new one, dedicated to the Mother of God, which they called Šišatovac. The certain data about the life and existence of the monastery originate from the mid-16th century. In 1543, the relics of St. Stefan Šiljanović from Šikoš were transferred. The old, double-dome church, built by the builders from the coastal region Jovan and Gašpar, was pulled down in 1778, and in its place a new big church was built thanks to the ktetorship of the Bishop of Vršac Vikentije Popović. The residence buildings were built on the three sides, whereas the fourth side was closed by the Temple. The final appearance of the residences originates from the late 18th century, whereas they were renewed after the fire of 1849. The cemetery chapel, built in devotion to St. Peter and St. Paul, was constructed in the baroque style in 1750. The iconostasis and the wall paintings were done by Grigorije Davidović Opšić from Čalma in 1793-1795. In the Second World War, the monastery was demolished. The monastery has completely been reconstructed and preparations are being made for the making of a new iconostasis, whereas the surfaces of the inner walls of the church are white, without any fresco-paintings so far.